We have repaired and conserved Bridge 70 – the only remaining bridge over the old Uttoxeter Canal.
Bridge 70 stands out as a poignant reminder in the landscape of the Uttoxeter Canal that closed in 1849. Unsurprisingly it was in a poor state. A team of volunteers from Caldon & Uttoxeter Canals Trust and Waterway Recovery Group have not only restored the bridge but also improved the towpath to create a pleasant walk.
This project demonstrated that volunteers can do significant restoration work. More than 100 people were involved in a total of nearly 700 volunteer hours. It created a new enthusiasm for the canals of the Churnet Valley.